Your morning sets the tone for your entire day. If your morning is rushed and harried, your day will follow suit. If it’s planned out and smooth, your day will be as well. That’s why I think having some sort of morning routine is so important!
These are a few of my favorite ways to start the day. They’re simple things you can do to prepare yourself for a healthy, productive workday.
- Be Grateful. I’ll admit it’s so easy to wake up yelling at the alarm clock. But you will be amazed at the difference you’ll feel if you pick just one thing to express thankfulness for. A grateful attitude shifts the feeling of our entire day, which is why this is number one!
- Drink water. Don’t skip this one! 75% of Americans are dehydrated. (Yikes!) So before you do anything else grab the cup by your bedside and chug a whole glassful of the life-giving liquid.
- Do some gentle stretches. You probably don’t have time for a full-blown yoga session, but there are some easy stretches you can do from your bed that will help wake up your muscles. Here’s a a set of 5 gentle stretches.
- Make a to-do list. This is a great thing to do while you’re waiting for the coffee to brew. While you’re still calm and haven’t jumped into the day, write down your Top 3 important tasks. If you start work before you make a goal, you’ll be left feeling like you haven’t accomplished much.
- Meditate. Clearing your mind before the day has all sorts of positive benefits! It can be just 5 or 10 minutes. Try Calm’s free meditations. They have both guided and unguided sessions.
- Eat Breakfast. I know it’s going out of style, but nutritionists have confirmed it is healthier to eat a small, healthy breakfast. Yogurt and granola, eggs, a smoothie – give your body a little fuel to start the day.
Now some people will say, “Wow, how in the world would I have time for all this?” And to that I would say… maybe you need to consider getting up just 20 or 30 minutes earlier. Less rush in the morning always feels better. Check out this awesome podcast by The Productivity Show. It’s filled with tips for making it easier to wake up early (and still getting enough sleep). I found it very helpful!
Now it’s time for you to share. What do you do to start your morning off on the right foot? Let me know in the comments!